The image of private investigators is sometimes of shady characters working the ‘mean streets’. The reality however is that private investigation is a legitimate career involving painstaking research, specialised skills and an understanding of the legal system. You may become involved in a range of work from insurance fraud to burglary investigations. In this course we cover all the angles and make sure you’re prepared for any challenge.
Course Lesson and resource list
This course consists of:
• Three module books
• Copy of Private Security Personnel and Private Investigators Act 2010
• Documents used in Industry booklet
This is a NZQA approved course.
1. History, role of the Private Investigator, The need for a Private Investigator's services, Moral and Legal responsibilities.
2. Introduction to the Law - Common Law - history, definition, principles. Civil and criminal law. Acts of parliament.
3. The Private Security Personnel and Private Investigator's Act 2010 - Other relevant legislation.
5. Interviews and Interrogation.
6. Evidence and Statements.
7. Report Writing.
8. Preparing Evidence for use in Court.
9. Giving Evidence in Court.
10. Select Method of Gathering Information.
11. Gathering Information by Factual Investigation.
12. Missing Persons Investigations.
13. Investigative Photography.
14. Selecting, Equipping and Operating a Surveillance Vehicle - Gathering information by surveillance.
15. Selecting, obtaining and storing specialist information gathering equipment - Repairing and maintaining equipment.
16. Physical Evidence
18. Sources, storage and protection of information - The work of the Investigator.
19. Sample Surveillance Assignment and Report.
|Assessments:||19 lessons / 19 assignments|
|Duration:||This course must be completed within 12 months.
|Stotts is registered as a private training establishment by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) under the provisions of the Education Act 1989 and its subsequent amendments. This course has NZQA local approval, which indicates it has been quality assessed by NZQA and industry. This course has no National Qualifications Framework accreditation and no credits will be reported to NZQA upon completion.|
"Every bit of praise to my tutor for her commitment, patience and feedback" S.R. Palmerston North
"Great communication with my tutor. Thank you for your patience in my work" D.M. Hastings
"I have found doing a Stott's course an awesome thing to do for a stay at home mum that otherwise would be doing nothing. Thank Stott's and my tutors very much for providing me with the next stepping stone for a brighter future for my sons and myself." S. M. Tauranga
"An incredibly valuable and informative course. Not only helped me understand myself more clearly but more able to understand what makes others tick making me more tolerant and patient. A fantastic learning curve. Thoroughly enjoyed it!" D.B Christchurch